Apply Online for a Character Certificate in West Bengal in 2022 – Check Detailed Process, Download Character Certificate Format, PDF / MS-Wowd Download Link etc.
Character Certificate: Brief Information
|Name of Issuing Authority||District / Block / Municipal Administration or Head of Schools|
|Certificate Name||Character Certificate|
|Usage||To Apply for Job, Higher Education, Police Verification, Document Verification etc.|
|Mode of Applying||Offline (Online in some cases)|
Here is a sample format of character certificate:
What is a Character Certificate
A character certificate is an official certificate issued by a company, an institution, or the government. The certificate acts as proof that a citizen does not have any criminal record against his/her name. It also ensures that there are no court proceedings that you are currently involved in. Therefore, it serves as an official background check for the person concerned. The certificate ensures that you do not pose any threat to the environment or the reputation of the job or institution you are planning to join. It, therefore, acts as a security against the person concerned proving him/her harmless for the institution at hand.
Why it is important to Download Character Certificate
A character certificate might be an essential document in certain government as well as non-government jobs. This certificate might also come in handy in case of an application for citizenship, business purposes, and so on. It is also an essential document during visa application as it ensures that you are not involved in any illegal or suspicious activities.
There are no specific eligibility criteria as such to apply for this certificate. Any citizen of India can apply for a character certificate. It is valid for 6 months or a different period that would be mentioned in the certificate issued. However, some documents are required to apply for applying to the same.
Documents Required to Apply for Conduct Certificate
The following documents will be required:
- Aadhar card or Voter ID card for identity proof
- Reason for application (for example- government job, student, etc.)
- Court stamp
- Birth certificate or admit card of secondary or Madhyamik examination
- Domicile certificate/ Residential certificate or proof
- Passport (if required)
- Affidavit along with its self-declaration
- Ration card
- Bonafide certificate from the school of the applicant
- School leaving certificate
- Passport size photograph of the applicant
It is to be noted that the aforementioned documents should be original or photocopy of the original along with self-attestation according to the requirement. Also, the authorities may ask you to provide some other documents as well, if required. Make sure to submit them along with the documents already mentioned above.
How to Apply for Character Certificate?
There is no online method for the application for a character certificate. The offline procedure to apply for the conduct certificate is as follows:
- First of all, you need to visit the nearest BDO office in your locality and tell them why you need a character certificate or a conduct certificate.
- You will then be required to get a verification certificate from the police station in your area.
- After receiving the verification certificate, you need to visit the BDO office once again. Make sure to carry the police verification certificate along with the other required documents mentioned above.
- You will then be provided with the application form. You may be required to submit a written application in an A4 size blank paper instead, in the format prescribed.
- After filling up the form/writing the application, submit it along with the other documents at the BDO office.
- After submission, they will check your application and if everything seems correct, they will issue a record number for your reference.
- All the information provided will be verified at ground level in the applicant’s locality. The documents submitted will also be thoroughly scrutinized by the concerned officials.
- If after the verification process, the whole application turns out to be genuine, the officials concerned will report this to the authority. Only then would your character certificate be issued by the government.
In case, any information in the application or any documents is found to be false or wrong, the application will get rejected right away.
Character Certificate Format Download Links
|Character Certificate Format (Blank)||Download PDF|
|Conduct Certificate||Download PDF|
|Download Character Certificate in MS-Word Format||Click Here|
No, you can not apply online for a Character Certificate in West Bengal. However, there are states such as Andaman & Nicobar islands where you can apply online for a certificate.
The fee depends on the certificate issuing authority.
It is generally issued by Municipal Authority or the Gram Panchayat Authority.